In the early 1980s, Justin was born. Then some things happened. Now, he’s the editor of Alive.
Does that work? It doesn’t? OK then.
Prior to coming to Alive, Justin was editor of UWeekly, Ohio State’s unofficial weekly newspaper. That was fun. And before that, he was the editor of Graffiti, West Virginia’s leading news alternative. And still prior to that, he was the news editor of the AP-award winning daily The Marietta Times.
Justin fell in love with print journalism, ironically, as a website design intern with Bird Watcher’s Digest, the country’s first birding magazine (yes, it does exist). That was even more fun. You haven’t lived, Justin says, till you hear a voice over the company’s intercom excitedly announce, “To the bird mobile!” (OK, those exact words might never have been uttered) because someone had spotted a bald eagle at the dam. The staff would then pile into a van and head out to said dam, binoculars in hand, ready to spot some birds. Good times.
Aside from relating birding stories in his spare time, Justin likes to run, eat, listen to music, read, go to Crew games, ride his bike and spend as much time as possible in the out-of-doors.
Favorite movie: “Mystery Train”
Favorite comic book: “Black Hole,” by Charles Burns
Favorite band: mewithoutYou
Favorite book: “The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle,” by Haruki Murakami
Favorite album: “Liquid Swords” by GZA
Favorite quote: "What should young people do with their lives? Many things, obviously. But the most daring thing is to create stable communities in which the terrible disease of loneliness can be cured." — Kurt Vonnegut
Recent articles by Justin McIntosh
- Welcome back, Jeni’s: The artisanal ice cream maker opens up about recall
- Comics BOOM! The origin stories of six Columbus comic book artists
- Comics BOOM! Meet Grace Ellis, co-creator of comics’ best all-ages all-girls series
- Comics BOOM! Meet Alex Heberling, who proves UFOs are scariest when hovering over Columbus
- Comics BOOM! Meet Steve Hamaker, whose web comic “PLOX” is a love letter to Columbus
- Comics BOOM! Meet Rafael Rosado, the city’s next great all-ages fantasy comics creator
- Comics BOOM! Meet James Moore and Joel Jackson, Columbus’ restless genre-mashing super-nerds
- Comics BOOM! Meet Michael Watson, creator of the superhero Columbus deserves
- Short North’s Surly Girl Saloon to close within week
- Art preview: Craftin' Outlaws Spring Fling
- Concert preview: OK Go could do well to ape New Order more often
- Concert preview: Dead is Dead does Nilsson Schmilsson
- Best of Columbus 2015 Readers’ Poll
- Cinderella Man: Crew SC goalie Steve Clark has fought for his chance to shine