The Wexner Center for the Arts has released their winter/spring 2014 season line up.
Photo courtesy of Companhia Urbana de Dança
As part of the "Via Brasil" initiative:
- Feb.1—April 20, on view at the center: "Cruzamentos: Contemporary Art in Brazil". This exhibition explores the work of 35 dynamic Brazilian artists.
- Beginning Jan. 22: "Cruzamentos: Contemporary Brazilian Documentary". This film series showcases Brazilian documentary filmmaking.
- Feb. 28: Brazilian dance troupe Companhia Urbana de Dança premieres "Eu Danco-8 Solos No Geral" in the U.S. at the Capitol Theatre.
- March 1:Guitarist and Composer Gary Lucas will perform a solo guitar score from the Brazilian cult horror classic "Esta Noite Encarnarei no Teu Cadaver" by director Jose Mojica Marin
- March 6: Perfomance from percussionist Cryo Baptista's "Banquet of the Spirits".
- April 5: Performance by Criolo, Brazilian hip hop artist.
Also at the Wex:
- Beginning in January: "Retrospective: Pier Paolo Pasolini". A retrospective of the controversial Italian director will be showing through January and February. Bonus: His film "Salo: 120 Days of Sodom" actually made my most offensive movie list.
- Jan. 23-26: "The Room Nobody Knows". The film by director Kuro Tanino will be onstage at the Wex. Be prepared for dark humor.
- Feb. 22: "American Power". Cellist Erik Friedlander collaborates with photographer Mitch Epstein to examine how we coexist with energy and power sources through live music and images.
- March 8: "Off The Grid". The contemporary art party returns with DJ Cosmo Baker headlining.
- April 10-13: "Straight White Men". The new play by Young Jean Lee will make its world premiere.
- May 17- Aug. 3: "Modern Cartoonist: The Art of Daniel Clowes". Survey of cartoonist Daniel Clowes.
Tickets are available to the public Dec. 12.