King Gambrinus

King Gambrinus

Preserved hoisting an eternal toast, this statue of King Gambrinus marks the heart of the Brewery District, which was home to beer-makers as early as 1836. This particular depiction of the Germanic hero was modeled after August Wagner, who built the Gambrinus Brewery in 1905 at 605 S. Front St.

After Wagner's operation closed in 1974, the stone version of beer's patron saint was moved to its current location just south of Claddagh Irish Pub.