With “Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues” in theaters now, we’re counting down the 10 most quoteworthy lines from the original. Stay classy, Columbus!
10. “The Human Torch was denied a bank loan.” — Ron Burgundy
Ron’s improvised pre-air vocal drills were all pretty funny, but this one tells an evocative story. Financial times are tough, even when you’re made of fire.
9. “I read somewhere their periods attract bears. Bears can smell the menstruation.” — Brick Tamland
“Well, that's just great. You hear that, Ed? Bears. Now you're putting the whole station in jeopardy.”
8. “Milk was a bad choice.” — Ron Burgundy
When your life falls into the gutter — getting fired, losing the woman for whom you wanted to scream your love from the top of a mountain — don’t turn to the carton. It never does any good.
7. “Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!” — Wes Mantooth
Next time somebody insults your mother, this is your comeback.
6. “I’m Ron Burgundy?” — Ron Burgundy
Yes, Ron will read anything you type on the teleprompter, punctuation included. This line also hints at the existential storm that swirls within Ron. Ask yourself, who am I really? Deep, man. Deep.
5. “Good evening, San Diego. I’m Veronica Corningstone. Tits McGee has the night off.” — Veronica Corningstone
The fact that Veronica was much smarter than the men around her was never more evident than with this graceful deflection of a Ron prank.
4. “What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate a whole wheel of cheese? How’d you do that? Heck, I’m not even mad. That’s amazing.” — Ron Burgundy
Baxter is truly an amazing dog. He can speak Spanish, befriend bears and even survive being punted off a bridge. This is still his greatest accomplishment.
3. “Smells like Bigfoot’s dick!” — random news station employee
The entirety of Brian Fantana “musk up” scene is hilarious, but this description of what Sex Panther (by Odeon) smells like is just ridiculously funny and precisely descriptive in a way you don’t want it to be.
2. “I love lamp.” — Brick Tamland
We can learn a lot from sweet, stupid Brick, like the importance of telling people — or inanimate objects — that you love them.
1. “I’m in a glass case of emotion!” — Ron Burgundy
As the culmination to Ron’s manic, despondent screams about what a bad man did to Baxter, it’s just brilliant. And haven’t we all been in a glass cage of emotion from time to time?