Christmas has become notorious for conspicuous consumption, even as more consumers become aware of the ecological side effects. But you donít have to skip the festivities to lessen your impact on the planet. Here are some green holiday tips the Sierra Club shared with The Dispatch:
* Buy a potted Christmas tree that can be replanted in the backyard
* Get a pesticide-free tree
* Use LED Christmas lights, which use 90% less power than conventional bulbs
* Make your own gifts; recipients might appreciate your time and effort even more than store-bought presents
* Make your own wrapping paper; most store-bought wrapping paper is not recyclable
* Buy local, supporting the local economy and reducing the energy used in transportation
Check out Tracy Turnerís Dispatch story.