It was reported that — back in 1948 — an average of 94 buses arrived and departed from the Wooster Bus Terminal every day.

Ninety-four buses! ... hard to believe, isn’t it?

I thought so until I received a Wooster Bus Terminal schedule that had been published in the Daily Record in 1965. The clipping confirmed how much of a transportation "hub" Wooster had become because of the number of state and U.S. highways that crisscross our area.

Mary Lou Kerr came across the old bus schedule while sorting through some of the papers saved by her late mother, Louise DiGiacomo. According to that 1965 newspaper clipping, the Wooster Bus Terminal was located at 311 E. South St. and was serving as an agency for Eastern Greyhound and Ohio Trailways bus lines.

The "New Bus Schedule" listed 35 scheduled multiple daily departures for such destinations as Cleveland, Ashland, Mansfield, Akron, Canton, Youngstown, Columbus, Cincinnati, Charleston, S.C., Huntington, W.Va., Pittsburgh, Chicago and beyond. When you add to that the number of buses arriving daily to drop off passengers, you can see how busy the Wooster Bus Terminal must have been.

Success story

Hawkins Market started out in 1950 as a small produce stand on state Route 585. Twenty-six years later, in 1976, Earl and Betty Hawkins's three grocery stores and cafeteria had reportedly achieved sales of $15 million annually.

Potato chips

The Wooster Pretzel and Potato Chip Co. used to be run by Frank and Zelma Swinehart out of a building at the rear of their home at 742 Spruce St.

One reader said when she and her friends were walking home from Walnut Street School years ago, her mother would often give them 50 cents so they could go next door and buy a grocery bag full of potato chips.

"The chips," she said, "were usually still warm when we bought them and they’d just been salted. They were absolutely wonderful. But, by the time we got the chips up the hill to the house, the grocery bag was covered in oil."

After the Swineharts died in 1948 the business was run for a year by Mildred and Frank Eastman before it was turned over to their grandson Jack Lester.

After Lester was elected mayor of Wooster in 1960, the business "died a natural death."

Regal Ware bought the house in 1962, eventually tore it down and built a warehouse.

Hour-long reception

First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt stopped in Orrville on Nov. 17, 1937, to attend an hour-long reception hosted by the D. Ed Seas family at their home on South Main Street. That morning, 500 Democratic women anxiously awaited the First Lady’s arrival.

Following the 10 a.m. reception, Mrs. Roosevelt left to catch the train for a speaking engagement in Fort Wayne, Ind. The Orrville High School Band escorted her to the depot where a crowd of approximately 2,000 had gathered to see her off.


A newspaper account from 1888 reported that the Rev. Fr. Fridolin Ankley, long-time pastor of St. Mary Catholic Church, had come across an intruder and shot at him. However, the newspaper stated that the priest purposely shot over the burglar’s head — explaining that he could have injured him if he had wanted to.

Thought you should know.

Columnist Ann Gasbarre can be reached at or 330-345-6419.