BalletMet cancels final two 'Nutcracker' performances due to COVID
BalletMet cut its annual presentation of “The Nutcracker” short today.
The final two performances of the monthlong run of the holiday ballet, scheduled for noon and 5:30 p.m. Sunday, were canceled in messages posted on the company’s website and social-media channels.
In an interview with The Dispatch, Executive Director Sue Porter said that decision to cancel was made late this morning after learning of breakthrough COVID-19 cases among several members in the cast. Vaccination is a prerequisite to perform in the production.
“There were only a couple (of cases),” Porter said. “We were at the theater, we had hoped we could move forward, but it became apparent that the health and safety of everyone had to be our priority. So we made what was certainly a difficult decision, but we felt it was the right decision.”
Ticket-buyers who purchased tickets from BalletMet or CAPA will automatically receive a full refund that will be credited to their account within 7 to 10 business days, the message on the website said.
BalletMet resumed its production of “The Nutcracker” on Dec. 10 following the cancellation of the show last year due to the pandemic. Until today’s performances were called off, the company had given 16 out of 18 scheduled performances of the ballet.
“We are so amazingly proud . . . that we were able to do 16 performances,” Porter said. “That’s inspiring to us and to the community.”
Although opening weekend attendance was down from two years ago, Porter said ticket sales had picked up over the run.
“The community came through and really, really supported us,” she said.